For the greater good, my will be done!

3/13/09

TAU TAKE DOWN SPACEWOLVES(almost)

Sunday I was able to get a game of 40k in against my friend who plays Space Wolves.
List:
HQ
Commander Vigilant: Cyclic, TL Missile Pods, HW MT
Shas'el: 2 Shas'vre, Plasma, Fusion, MT
Elite
3 Crisis: Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, MT
3 Stealth Suits: Targeting Arrays
3 Stealth Suits: Targeting Arrays
Troops
8 Firewarriors: Rifles, Shas'ui, Markerlight
8 Firewarriors: Rifles, Shas'ui, Markerlight
13 Kroot including Shaper: Save
13 Kroot including Shaper: Save
Fast
4 Pathfinders
Devilfish: Smart Missiles, 2 Seekers, Disruption Pod
4 Pathfinders
Devilfish: Smart Missiles, 2 Seekers, Disruption Pod
Heavy
Hammerhead: Smart Missile, 2 Seekers, Target Lock, Disruption Pod
Hammerhead: Smart Missile, 2 Seekers, Target Lock, Disruption Pod
Broadside: Targeting Array

All in all, it turned out to be a very good list. Everything has a job, and almost everything did its job. My opponent had 2 squads of terms, each lead by an HQ, 1 being a psycher loaded in a land raider, 1 dreadnaught, 1 assault squad, and 2 tactical squads. I knew I would be facing the land raider, so there was no surprise there. I got first turn, so I of course unloaded on the land raider. And destroyed it. Pry the highlight of the game.
This one move pretty much set me up for a win. He had placed pretty much everything behind it, planning to use it for cover as he moved forward. The destroyed(not exploded) land raider made an impassable blockade on his force. He also failed to place enough troops near his objective to be able to hold it, planning on taking mine and worrying about his later.
His first turn saw some movement, and not much shooting.
The rest of the game would be his terms trudging across the field into my line, ignoring everything I threw at them. The unit with the psycher finished with the Psyker left, but the other unit still had his commander with a FULL body guard. Space Wolves have the option of for 10 pts making each term able to reroll 1 failed armor save per game. That 100 points pry saved him around 400+ points(~50 pts each). He had never used it before, and I doubt I will ever see him NOT use it again.
My kroot out flanked, coming in on his objectives side, and had I not forgot to move them, they could have claimed that objective. But between my stealth suits, kroot, 1 HH, and a Devilfish, he couldn't claim the objective either. His other tactical squad just never got close.
My major mistake of the game was figuring I had it in the bag and deep striking my Shas'el's squad to take out his no threat dread, instead of using them on his terms. I had planned these guys to be my armor getters, able to strike anywhere. But by the time they appeared the only armor left was the dread. I wanted to show what they could do! They could die. My rolls were absolutely terrible, not a scratch. Of course he turned around, charged with the dread and a tactical squad, and wipeout! I should have ignored the dread, stuck behind terrain and the land raider wreckage, and took out the terms. Lesson learned(hopefully).
In the end, my objective was contested by his terms, and his objective didn't have any troops with in 12", let alone 3".
Draw!
Ah well, the game was very enjoyable, and I learned a lot. Before this, I always fielded max troops. This was my test run of a less troop heavy force. I have to say, I know why I kept losing. The higher amount of elite forces allowed me to really bring it to the enemy. Also, having everything have a job keeps me from sending the wrong stuff the wrong way. I also am better able to make sure I cover my opponents options. Just have to keep my eye on the prize, instead of looking for that bragging point.

No comments: